The IBM Spectrum Protect (formerly Tivoli Storage Manager or TSM) suite of products includes the Spectrum Protect Server and many add-on products and components for providing enterprise class data protection and disaster recovery.
In this Data Protection 101 series of videos, we provide a simple, easy-to-understand introduction to many of the components and technologies associated with Spectrum Protect.
Spectrum Protect - High level overview
This high level overview explains the architecture of Spectrum Protect, Spectrum Protect's basic functions and the products that make up the Spectrum Protect family. It is a good place to start if you are looking for an introduction to Spectrum Protect and how the products fit together.
Spectrum Protect Components - high-level introduction to Spectrum Protect components
Many components access the Spectrum Protect Server to store data in different ways. These 101-level videos cover client technologies that use the Spectrum Protect server to store and manage data.
- Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments - VMware and Hyper-V
- Bare Machine Recovery (BMR) is used to recover operating systems and data.
- Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) automatically moves data from client disks to more inexpensive storage on the Spectrum Protect server. (See the Space Management- HSM page on this site.)
- NAS - NDMP backups of NAS devices, and Snapmirror to tape and SnapDiff backups of N series devices.
- FastBack for Workstation - CDP backup that works stand alone, or in conjunction with the Spectrum Protect server.
- The Spectrum Protect Operations Center provides a visual dialogue for administrators delivering decision point information necessary for successful use of Spectrum Protect.
- Spectrum Protect Node Replication provides the ability to incrementally replicate a node's data to a remote Spectrum Protect target server for disaster recovery purposes.
- FlashCopy Manager uses hardware and software snapshot technology to protect SQL Server, Exchange, DB2, Oracle, SAP, VMware, and other applications.
- Deduplication is built into the Spectrum Protect server and client. Server side dedupe helps reduce the amount of data stored and managed on the Spectrum Protect server and client-side dedupe reduces the amount of data transmitted across the network.
- Spectrum Protect in the Cloud
- Spectrum Protect Monitoring and Reporting options
- Spectrum Protect Server Disaster Recovery overview